Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A Mature Fashionista



There is a blog (Advanced Style) dedicated to showing the fashionistas of mature age; I would guess the cut-off point to be about 60. On the one hand, I salute the women who have lived through whatever they have had to live through and I admire their courage because face it, growing old takes courage and resilience. By courage in this article, though, I mean the absolute guts of steel that it takes to wear some of the outrageous outfits that they have chosen.

I salute those elderly ladies who have hung tough and stuck through the decades and have not allowed themselves to give in to Age. What I sometimes wonder at, though, are the extreme ends to which some of them go. It is one thing to dress with joy and carefree primary color abandon; it is another thing to step over that invisible line called good taste. 

Other extreme ends to which they go are hair tinted bright orange, huge, huge outsized sunglasses in shocking fluorescent colors, bright garish lipstick spackled on, 3" false eyelashes, and some outfits that seem at first glance to be clown clothes.

In that blog, I think that they are applauded for their age and pluck rather than for their choice in clothes. 

I collected a handful of photos showing women in outlandish items of clothing, wearing them simply because they could, and planned to show them in full regalia waving to the camera, but then decided that the high road would be to show a mature woman who has dressed with originality and who stands out, but not for her outrageousness. Who doesn't step over the line and Go There simply because she can — simply because her age gives her license.

The woman in the photo above, in my eyes, is lovely. Every item of clothing blends with the rest, and she is a standout, but with dignity. I love her soft, soft eyeshadow and lipstick, I love the earrings and the vibrant warm color brightening up the black top. She has personal style that probably a lot of women would love to copy. She makes me proud to be une femme d'un certain âge. 

(The next morning.) I just found this other photo of the woman
dressed in a different outfit. 

10 comments:

Shelly said...

I, too, enjoy looking at this blog. It inspires me to see the ones I consider beautiful, and it also amazes me at the extremes some will go to. To each his own!

DJan said...

Lorna, she is simply beautiful and elegant. Never heard of that blog, now I've got to go check it out. Thank you! :-)

HermanTurnip said...

Agreed! That first pic shows a happy, content, self-assured senior citizen who refuses to let the world pass her by. Kudos to her! Let others wear Moo-Moos, that's not her style. :-)

Lorna said...

@ Shelly, DJan and Herman...sorry I forgot to make a link out of the blog's name. I went and did it so others can quickly click onto it. --Lorna

CrystalChick said...

I would definitely wear that black sweater and purple gloves! The earrings and belt are a bit much for me, but she's totally rocking them.
I enjoyed some of the photos at Advanced Style.
Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Have a nice weekend.

Jo said...

I think women can be beautiful at any age. Cher, Catherine Deneuve, Susan Sarandon, Meryl Streep, Goldie Hawn, etc., are all in their 60s. And they are wonderful.

I'm not sure I would want to go grey, though.

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."



A Lady's Life said...

Yes it is nice when older women dress Nice.
I have to laugh when some paint lipstick w a y over their lips and then outline them in dark pencil

There is nothing wrong getting older with grace and style.
You don't have to look like a clown to look nice.

Lorna said...

@ Jo: Some women look exquisite in all silver hair and some others get washed out and look old. It is a twist of fortune. So far I have silver only around my face, not all over my head and so far I do not color it, but if I do, it will be a men's product that my neighbor recommended. It targets and colors only grey and looks natural. It is called JUST FOR MEN.

Lorna said...

@ A LADY'S LIFE -- I know what you mean about drawing beyond the lip line. I had full lips all my life, and in my youth it was the slim look that was in favor, so I used to apply lipstick inside my lip line. Now that full lips are in fashion, my youthful full lips have somewhat gone down, but not totally. I apply lipstick right ON my lip line and let some lipstick go beyond it. I like my full lips!

Lorna said...

@Crystal Chick -- I would love to find those earrings that the mature fashionista is wearing. I visited the NOVICA site today because they carry artisan crafted jewelry but I could not find that particular earring. 8-(

~Lorna
_______________________________________


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...