Saturday, March 2, 2013

The Mystery Gifter

Life is full of mysteries. Where did we come from? Is there life after death? How do the swallows know to return to Capistrano? How does the idiot savant know the entire Bach repertoire?

And although my life mystery is not nearly as universal as the others are, it is nevertheless my mystery.

In the mid 90's I decided to experiment and ride my bicycle to work rather than drive. This was about a two mile drive, nothing daunting. I was a high school teacher and I would keep my bike in class all day. It was fun, and aside from the time my shoelace got caught in the bike spokes and I nearly tumbled, it was safe.

There were several people who knew about my bicycling experiment, but in fact my comings and goings via pedaling were easily observable by anyone.

The mystery happened one day when I checked my teacherly mailbox in the main office. It was stuffed with bicycle related items, all new. I don't clearly recall what the items were, but I think that among them were riding gloves. Also a bicycling magazine and a few other related items.

I asked my friends and some others whether they knew anything about this cache of gifts in my mailbox, but got no answers. I figured that sooner or later someone would grin at me and acknowledge being the gifter, but no such thing happened. Not ever.

Some years after that, when bicycling no longer seemed a safe thing for me to do, I gave my bicycle to my gardener, since he had kids.

I still think back sometimes and wonder who could have put those gifts in my mailbox. It would be nice to know. And on the other hand, it is kind of nice having such a pleasant mystery to ponder, and very pleasant knowing that someone went out of his or her way to get me something appropriate for my bicycling adventure riding to work every day.

Was it you?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...